Is it time for Senior Living?
I think most of us are in denial that our parents are aging. It’s hard to imagine them leaving their homes (it may even be the house you grew up in) and Moving to a senior living community. How do you know when it’s time to have that discussion and begin looking into options?
Below are some signs to look for.
- Medications…are they taking them as prescribed? Do they forget to take their meds? Are they taking too many?
- How does the house look? Are mom and dad able to keep it clean, or has it become cluttered and messy. What about the yard?
- Changes in grooming. Is mom wearing the same clothes every time you visit? Is dad bathing regularly. Do their clothes look dirty?
- Driving. This is a big one! Have there been vision changes? Signs of dementia? Should they still be driving? If it’s time to hang up the car keys, do they have alternate means of transportation?
- Social isolation. Is dad staying in the house alone watching TV all day? Everyone needs social interaction. Many times seniors will isolate themselves as they begin to have changes in their memory or physical abilities.
- Nutrition. Are they still cooking or are they snacking on cereal or TV dinners? Look in the fridge. Is it empty? Is the food in there spoiled? Do you have concerns about them remembering to turn off the stove if they are still cooking?
There are many types of senior living communities available. How do you know which is the best fit for your loved one? What meets their needs and budget? I can save you time in your search for senior living. Don’t wait until you are in a crisis mode to start looking for senior options. It’s always best to have a plan in place before there is an emergency!
My service is always free to families. 214-783-1222. www.loriwilliams-seniorservices.com