- 112: The Rule of Reciproaction Jeff Heggie 6:30
Jeff Heggie Daily Success Strategies
112: The Rule of Reciprocation
The Rule of Reciprocation – we should try to repay, in kind, what another person has provided us.
· The obligation to the future repayment of favors, gifts, invitations, and the like.
A small initial favor can produce a sense of obligation to agree to a substantially larger return favor (an unfair advantage for someone who may want to exploit the rule)
· Why can a small first favor often stimulate a larger return favor?
· Feeling of indebtedness that we want to remove
A person who violates the reciprocity rule by accepting without attempting to return is often actively disliked by a social group
· Small concessions
· A good negotiator is one who’s initial position is big exaggerated enough to allow for a series of reciprocal concessions with will get a desirable final offer from the other side (Too big, illegitimate from the start)