- What It's Like to Approach Climate Change with Humor Elizabeth Garr 33:46
For most of us, climate change is a heavy topic. Ethan Brown has made it his mission to make environmental issues more approachable and understandable–by using humor. His website and podcast, aptly titled “The Sweaty Penguin,” is able to cut through the noise and the doom-and-gloom of the climate conversation with late-night-comedy-style monologues and in-depth conversations with leading global experts on a variety of environmental issues. In this episode, Ethan shares how he went from being a college student with an interest in satire (but not necessarily climate change) to using his voice–literally–for this important cause. Ethan also gives concrete advice we all can use to help the climate crisis (and no, you don't necessarily have to become vegan and bike to work every day!).
In this episode:
01:48: Why and how Ethan got into taking a humorous approach to climate change
05:04: How The Sweaty Penguin creates episodes–“deep dives,” monologues, experts, and more
07:48: How Ethan weaves “the philosophy of comedy” into his podcasts
09:38: Dealing with climate change as a scientific–not a political–issue
12:54: Why Ethan feels optimistic about the future
15:46: Five things we all can do to help the climate crisis
19:59: Addressing the vegan vs. meat-eating debate in the climate change conversation
27:36: What Ethan has learned about himself and about the issues in the past few years
Want to know more about Ethan and The Sweaty Penguin?
- Follow them on Instagram: @ethanbrown5151, @sweatypenguinpod
- Find them on TikTok: @ethanbrown5151, @sweatypenguinpod
- Search for them on X: @ethanbrown5151, @sweatpenguinpod
- Go to The Sweaty Penguin website: www.thesweatypenguin.com
Want to know more about “What It's Like To…”?
- Sign up to be on our Insiders' List to receive our newsletters and insiders' information! Go to whatitsliketo.net (sign-ups are at the bottom of the page)
- Follow us on social media: