- Episode 61 - Jahmaal Marshall - Transforming Pain into Purpose: Jahmaal's Journey Through Grief and Growth Drew Deraney 32:57
This episode: Transforming Pain into Purpose: Jahmaal’s Journey Through Grief and Growth.
Here’s what you’ll learn about:
Life-defining moments and Grief. (0:00)
- Jahmaal Marshall shares his defining moment in his life, the death of a loved one.
- Jahmaal’s father became critically ill and passed away in December 2017.
Grief, faith, and healing after losing a parent. (3:30)
- Jahmaal shares his Grief journey after losing his father, including isolation and eventual healing through a support group.
- Former pastor and friend helps Jahmaal cope with his father’s death by suggesting he take a break in nature.
Grief, trauma, and personal growth. (7:36)
- Jahmaal reflects on his father’s death and his own Grief journey, finding redemption through processing his emotions.
- He shares his journey from working in international justice to finding his ‘calling’ in social media and personal branding.
Healing through storytelling after losing a parent. (11:36)
- Jahmaal shares his story of healing and growth after the death of his father, using his voice as a source of strength and inspiration.
- He shares his personal journey of healing through storytelling, reaching wide audiences professionally.
Mental health, counseling, and public speaking. (16:02)
- Jahmaal is a certified counselor and mentor, and on his podcast, he discusses mental health with guests.
- He discusses his current work as a counselor and how he has been able to help clients through his podcast (19:35-21:44)
- Jahmaal helped others seek legal protection and consultancy services with their mental health struggles.
- Currently, Jahmaal’s consultancy is thriving because with human behavior, when people see that you get them and that you see their problems from the inside out, they trust you.
To learn more about Jahmaal, go to LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/jahmaalmarshall/
or you can go to Jahmaal’s website at http://www.listenthenspeak.com/
Jahmaal’s Bio: Jahmaal is a Certified Counselor and Founder of Listen Then Speak Podcast, on which he interviews bestselling authors, entrepreneurs, and Mental Health Advocates. He helps clients establish healthy boundaries by dealing with the root of mental pain-points, which frees them up to reach their full potential and achieve lasting results.
Jahmaal began his career at the Federal Bureau of Prisons working in the division of public affairs in 2003, before transitioning to work at a non-profit for website quality control and prison correspondence in 2010. It was during this time that he began to train and study to get certified in counseling. He then began traveling and public speaking in 2014, before taking on clients as a counselor, where he helped transform the lives of many men, women, and families. He soon took up the role as Global Lead at the International Justice Mission organization to manage and collaborate with Global HR Managers in building out the programming for the organizations Interns and Fellows Program. He was responsible for the program management and experience of more than 300 interns and fellows in 18 different countries. He was asked to be a guest on various global podcasts before becoming a podcast host himself, and taking on his first online client in the summer of 2020 as a counselor. In January 2023, he left his position as a Global Lead at the International Justice Mission organization to continue counseling, consulting, and podcasting full-time. Today the Listen Then Speak is a top 25 percent podcast and Jahmaal has a pipeline of clients that are getting the results that matter to them.
Being in the corporate realm for more than 20 years has given Jahmaal the expertise to get his clients results. One must know the root causes of their behavior as well as a practical path forward to disrupt toxic patterns that render us ineffective.
Jahmaal is also a professional video blogger, and often shares nuggets of wisdom from his life online.
About your host: I’m Drew Deraney, the proud father of three children. For most of my life I’ve been concerned with what people thought of me and how I was supposed to act. I learned not to be my authentic self and instead became a people pleaser, a man wearing a mask.
In a 9-month span a few years ago, I endured four faith-shaking life events that caused me to question my existence.
I became determined to find a better way to live. Through intense self-reflection and awareness, I realized that in order to be happy, I must adhere to my standards of honesty, integrity and truth and needed to break free from the belief system that was anchored in me for close to 50 years.
I found my purpose and my mission in life. I’ve now become the man I know I am meant to be. My mission is empowering men ready to make a change to do the same.
My men’s group and one-on-one Coaching provide a safe space for men to share, without judgement, and transform. My male clients learn to release their inner greatness and stop self-sabotage, the #1 roadblock keeping them from reaching their goals.
HOW TO CONNECT WITH COACH DREW:
Free Webinar: Overcoming Self-Sabotage Registration
Men’s Group Registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/771474359577?aff=oddtdtcreator
Book a Coaching Discovery Call: https://link.mavericksystems.online/widget/bookings/netweaving/connect30
Pick up a copy of Drew’s book: https://amzn.to/40dsbyR