- Respond Instead of React and Be Prepared: Stories of Hope by Amanda Schaefer Rayna Neises 24:21
Rayna Neises, your host, talks with Amanda Schaefer. Amanda is an author, speaker, and podcast host. Having majored in dramatic writing at New York University, she would never have imagined using everything she learned there to create a Christian podcast that has a worldwide audience. Amanda’s goal was to provide a platform for people to share their stories and as a result, to share God’s story. She has a few new books on the horizon and some collective efforts around the bend and is ready for each opportunity to share the gospel in every way that she can. Amanda shares the following insights based on her caregiving experience and from her caregiving journey with her parents:
- [3:57] Caregiving is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that comes with difficulties and transitions, but overall, it is something to choose again and again.
- [6:00] A sense of humor can shift everything.
- [6:18] Remember to be on the same team.
- [7:17] Preparing for caregiving:
- Be prayerful
- Be intentional
- Set boundaries
- Talk about things ahead of time
- Know what is needed to keep yourself safe and healthy
- [10:57] Include your loved one in the plans for change vs. coming in and taking over.
- [15:09] Caregiving is one of those times when you get to love like Jesus.
- [15:40] Learning how to respond instead of reacting is a key thing.
- [17:23] Be quick to listen and slower to speak.
- [18:22] Be preparatory and think things out.
- Amanda’s podcast, A Cup of Gratitude, is available on all major podcast platforms.
This episode was brought to you by Content Magazine, an electronic quarterly magazine available today to help you find God during your caregiving season. Visit ContentMagazine.online to learn more.