Prevent a Second Heart Attack: 8 Foods, 8 Weeks to Reverse Heart Disease
Author: Janet Bond Brill, Ph.D., R.D., LDN
Reviewed by: Anne Holmes for the NABBW
If you’re one of the 13 million Americans who have survived a heart attack or been diagnosed with heart disease – or you care about someone in that situation — you will want to embrace this book which provides a simple, easy-to-follow lifestyle plan designed to help you live a longer, fuller life.
Especially when Brill explains that research shows that just one year after diagnosis, the vast majority of heart attack survivors are not following the dietary changes that are proven to prevent a second heart attack.
Brill has personal experience with this. Her father died after his second heart attack. In fact, Brill says she wrote this book after her husband, Sam, suffered a first heart attack.
She was inspired to teach him – and the rest of the world’s heart attack survivors – how to live long, happy and healthy lives. And, how we can even reverse the actual disease process.
In this easy to read book which includes an entire section filled with recipes and tips to prevent a second heart attack, Dr. Brill explains:
- Why the Mediterranean diet is the gold standard of heart-healthy eating
- How good carbs such as oatmeal and popcorn lower bad cholesterol, prevent high blood pressure, and control your weight
- The science behind eating fish for heart health
- Why having a glass of red wine with dinner is great for your heart–and which wines are the best choices
- Why intense, antioxidant-filled dark chocolate is no longer a forbidden food
- Why eating walnuts can not only make a dent in your “bad cholesterol” but why the mere habit of snacking can lower your LDL
- The easiest, most delicious daily habit that will cut your heart attack risk
Brill’s book also includes exercise tips, and she’s a great fan of walking. As she points out, it’s a great form of exercise which can be practiced by just about anyone and which saves you from the high-impact dangers of running.
In short, “Prevent A Second Heart Attack” comes complete with every tool you need to eat your way to better heart health–including daily checklists, a complete two-week eating plan, and dozens of mouthwatering recipes to suit every meal, taste, and budget.
JANET BOND BRILL, Ph.D., R.D., LDN, is a diet, nutrition, and fitness expert who frequently appears on national television. NABBW’s Healthy Heart Lifestyle Expert, she is also the author of “Cholesterol Down: 10 Simple Steps to Lower Your Cholesterol In 4 Weeks Without Prescription Drugs”, and specializes in cardiovascular disease prevention. Dr. Brill lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and three children.