- When you child won’t listen to the word NO with Jes L Sue Groner 21:12
Jes L is a mother to two girls, 11 years old and a 15 months old. While her first daughter was fairly easy as a baby, Jes is finding the experience with her second daughter to be entirely different – she is intense and refuses to listen to the word “NO”. Jes and her husband have told her numerous times not to do things like stick her finger in the electric socket yet she is determined to defy them. The word “no” is optional in Jes’s daughter’s eyes and she goes into antrum – mode when she hears it too many times. She also loves to play on the edge by attempting to turn on the oven or open and close drawers (sometimes on her finger). Jes comes to us for the next steps on how to turn this around.
Today we talk about the word “no” and how we can actually switch out the word to something like “danger” or “pain”. We also talk about how you can help your child learn to do something in a safe way by practicing them together – like opening and closing a drawer. We talk about the importance of validating your child’s feelings, and expressing to them that you understand that hearing the word “no” is hard. It’s also about connecting with your child in a tone that makes them feel seen and heard.
This week on The Parenting Mentor:
- Tangible tips and tools for dealing with your kid’s resistance to “NO”.
- Tips for validating using a non-judgemental tone and communication and why this creates empathy and understanding.
- Changing up your language and practicing patience when approaching your child.
- The power of allowing your kids to learn for themselves to an extent. Giving them a reminder of the consequence without having to constantly say “Don’t do that”.
Meet the Parenting Mentor
If you want to reduce the everyday stress and anxiety that inevitably come with parenting and learn to be a happier and more relaxed parent, then this is the place for you.
Here, you can listen in on real sessions with parents who open up about the specific challenges they face with children from 2 to 22. Listen along and gain perspectives and strategies to help you parent with sanity and joy.
Visit theparentingmentor.com for notes on this show, more episodes, and all the ways to subscribe, and don’t forget to pick up my book, Parenting with Sanity and Joy: 101 Simple Strategies, which includes my Nine Golden Rules of Parenting.
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts!