- Episode 53: Laura Darrell & Wooden on Leadership by John Wooden John M Jaramillo 1:18:57
In this episode you’ll find two leadership coaches geeking out on all-things-leadership, exchanging notes, experiences, and insights on what we hope leadership can become.
Laura’s journey begins with the immigrant story of her parents and the mindset they brought with them in their migration to Canada. She shares with me
here the stories behind the mindset triad that has lead to the hard work and determination she’s lived in her career: (1) Be positive; (2) Have incredible work
ethic; and (3) Understand the power of freedom to create what it is you want.
You can tell Laura lives the lessons she learned from her parents, picked up along the way in her career, and gleaned from Coach Wooden’s book. The book
itself is one with transformative lessons, setting the example for what we all can do for others in their lives and work.
A ripple effect of humanity. We can make a difference and change their lives. We typically underestimate that power.
In addition to covering Coach Wooden’s book, in which he lays out his approach to and vision for leading others – which helped his UCLA team win a total of 10 NCAA championships in 12 seasons – we cover Laura’s own journey of leadership and the lessons from Coach Wooden’s book she’s infused into her approach to life and leadership.
- “You want to make the world a better place, let’s focus on the caliber of leadership that exists in the world today.”
- The Magic of Leadership: Creating space for amazing things to happen. It’s your job to believe the people you’re leading are capable of greatness.”
- The power of detachment: If you give it all in the practice, you don’t have to worry about the outcome of the game.
- If you’re not prepared to love your people, leadership is not for you.
- Coach Wooden: “Make each day your masterpiece.”
The MAIN QUESTION that underlies my conversation with Laura is, How does your leadership make a lasting impact well past those moments of leadership
Laura is a top-selling leadership author and guest speaker passionate about franchisee/franchisor success, organizational health, and
leadership development. She has twenty-five years of people, team, and departmental leadership experience with some of Canada and the world’s most
iconic brands. She holds a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership from Royal Roads University with thesis research focused on how enhanced collaboration between multidisciplinary key stakeholders can lead to better business outcomes for both.
Learn more about Laura:
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lauravik/
- Website: www.lauradarrellleadership.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100083941399388
Watch the episode on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtNpTQTFjuN6Tjs52JB7zUQ
Learn more about The Book Leads: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/got-lead-great-book-thats-impacted-your-work-life-me-john/