- Episode 31: Karen Senteio & A Culture of Safety: Building A Work Environment Where People Can Think, Collaborate and Innovate John M Jaramillo 1:14:27
The Book Leads – Episode 31: Karen Senteio & A Culture of Safety: Building A Work Environment Where People Can Think, Collaborate and Innovate
For this episode, Karen and I cover a book that most organizations need and shouldn’t be without. Companies – and actually all of us in the business of relationships – look past this book at their own peril. (I’ll be recording an episode with the author, Alla Weinberg, in the coming weeks.)
This is a book for which the topic and focus are timelier than ever, at this moment, considering what the world and its workplaces have been going through over the last few years. Organizational dynamics, the pandemic, social justice issues, school massacres, the great resignation, etc — regardless of what the issue might be, there’s a need to be open to and invite, foster and empower discussion. Safety first is what allows for that openness to occur.
Although the book is focused on the workplace, there are so many lessons that can cross to the world outside work — much in the same way the ripple effect of the issues of the outside world penetrate the workplace.
Some highlights we touch upon:
- I learned what a “Smergologist” is.
- “Once you have that flame in your heart, you can’t put it out.”
- The meaning of the Hebrew word “Selah” and how we can utilize it in our chaotic lives.
Mentioned or Applicable Books:
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- The Upside of Stress: Why Stress Is Good For You And How To Get Good At It by Kelly McGonigal, Ph.D.
- The Spark, The Flame, And The Torch: Inspire Self. Inspire Others. Inspire the World
- Leadership Is Language by L. David Marquet
The MAIN QUESTION that underlies my conversation with Karen is, Whether in business, work, or personal relationships, how do you create an environment of physical, emotional, and psychological safety in order to move forward?
Bio: Karen is an Executive Coach and President of Karen Senteio Consulting, which focuses on inspired leading, working, and living. She has 30 years of corporate experience and close to 5 years of work in non-profits in leadership, project management, change management, facilitating, and COURAGING. Karen advocates for Life Reinvention and believes that a leader must be willing to change their mind and unlearn as well as learn. She works with leaders ready to UNAPOLOGETICALLY harness their greatest power for the greatest good, activating their internal compass to embody INSPIRATION and COURAGE as a daily practice.
Learn more about Karen: www.KarenSenteio.com
Watch the episode on YouTube: https://lnkd.in/ey_KTZe
Learn more about The Book Leads: https://lnkd.in/eFb76ck