- The Birthgap Trend: Why It’s Important, with Stephen Shaw Dr. Ron Kaiser 38:25
Did you know that, in the past seventy years, fertility rates have decreased by 50% globally? This may be surprising to some, maybe not to others, but what are the long-term consequences of a monumental shift like this?
Today’s guest, Stephen Shaw, is a data scientist, demographer, and documentary filmmaker. Although much of Stephen’s professional life has focused on data science and analytics, in 2016 he ventured into the world of filmmaking and his first movie, Birthgap, was selected for the Chelsea Film Festival in 2020. In this episode, Stephen discusses how learning about falling fertility rates inspired his film and gives us a sneak peek at what he was able to uncover while making the documentary.
Tune in to Episode 170 of REJUVENAGING® to learn about the implications of the birthgap with Stephen Shaw.
Some Questions I Ask:
- Can you give us a little bit of background about your journey to becoming who you are today? (5:28)
- I’m wondering about other solutions to the consequences of decreased fertility; is there something other than making the older age range more productive? (22:46)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- About Stephen’s experience traveling to 24 countries to make his film, Birthgap (8:28)
- Whether shifts in family size have contributed to a global decline in birth rates (13:08)
- How societal drive has contributed to a decline in birth rates (15:52)
- Why a declining birth rate is a problem for society (17:45)
- What you can expect from Stephen’s film Birthgap, and where you can watch it (27:19)
Connect with Stephan Shaw
Useful REJUVENAGING® Resources
- Website: https://www.thementalhealthgym.com/
- Book: Dr. Ron Kaiser –Rejuvenaging: The Art and Science of Growing Older with Enthusiasm
- Email: email@example.com
- TEDx Talk: Aging Enthusiastically to Make the World a Better Place
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.