- Making a Difference with Dr. Ruth Backstrom Dr. Ron Kaiser 31:46
We live in a period of intense polarization. It seems like everyone has an opinion about something and there’s no room for it to be swayed. Times like these can be tough and confusing to understand. The lines between right and wrong start to blur and fighting for our convictions can seem like a never-ending, uphill battle.
Dr. Ruth Backstrom is an author and speaker who started fighting for what she believed in at a young age. At just 13 years old, she was arrested at a civil rights rally, and ever since then, she’s been fighting to build a new world and a new democracy. Dr. Ruth’s book, Igniting a Bold New Democracy – Empowering Citizens Through Game-Changing Reforms, is a guide to creating a pro-democracy movement and was inspired by broken politics and diminished quality of life in America.
Dr, Ruth joins me on the show today to talk about making change and the ways in which we can do it. She breaks down some great examples of democracy working well around the world and shares what can be done in America to move in the right direction. She also gives us a synopsis of what to expect from her book.
Tune in to Episode 180 of REJUVENAGING® and let’s change the world with Dr. Ruth Backstrom.
Some Questions I Ask:
- How did you get to be who you are? (14:47)
- Can you give us a cliff notes version of your book? (17:45)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How Dr. Ruth explains the environment of increasing polarization between individuals in societies today (4:40)
- How to become engaged in your local communities (9:38)
- About the idea of collective intelligence (13:12)
- How Dr. Ruth believes we need to adjust to the current period of transition that we’re in (20:17)
- Dr. Ruth’s book: Igniting a Bold New Democracy – Empowering Citizens Through Game-Changing Reforms
- Center for New Democratic Processes – Citizens’ Jury
- Center for Wise Democracy
Connect with Dr. Ruth Backstrom
Useful REJUVENAGING® Resources
- Website: https://www.thementalhealthgym.com/
- Book: Dr. Ron Kaiser –Rejuvenaging: The Art and Science of Growing Older with Enthusiasm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TEDx Talk: Aging Enthusiastically to Make the World a Better Place
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.