- Dietary Supplements; Concerns and Benefits with Dr. Gerald Faich Dr. Ron Kaiser 45:13
The use of dietary supplements is common in the U.S. and there’s evidence to suggest their increase in the past couple of years. Users of dietary supplements presumably view it as a safe and efficient way to meet recommended daily intakes. However, what many don’t know is how loosely regulated some of these supplements are and the real safety concerns associated with them.
Dr. Gerald Faich is an M.D. and a Master of Public Health with a career in epidemiology, contract research, and clinical trial and pharmaceutical risk consultancy. He joins me on this episode to discuss dietary supplements, whether they actually work, and what his concerns about them are.
Tune in to Episode 175 of REJUVENAGING® and supplement your knowledge with Dr. Gerald Faich.
Some Questions I Ask:
- Can you just tell us a little bit about your journey and why you happened to focus on this area of pharmaceuticals, supplements, drug safety, and so on? (5:52)
- As soon as it says natural, does that mean it’s safe? (28:26)
- What sources of information are there to help people sort out their questions? (33:05)
- Is there a logical reason why this industry isn’t regulated? (41:46)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- What exactly a dietary supplement is (12:13)
- What Dr. Gerald believes the one value of dietary supplements is (14:55)
- Some of the supplements Dr. Gerald says are of proven value and proven safety (15:56)
- One of Dr. Gerald’s biggest concerns about dietary supplements (21:47)
- The messages Dr. Gerald wants to highlight about dietary supplements (38:29)
Connect with Dr. Gerald Faich
Useful REJUVENAGING® Resources
- Website: https://www.thementalhealthgym.com/
- Book: Dr. Ron Kaiser –Rejuvenaging: The Art and Science of Growing Older with Enthusiasm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TEDx Talk: Aging Enthusiastically to Make the World a Better Place
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.