- Safeguarding Our Loved Ones Against Scams & Solicitations with Gerontologist, Renee Skoglund willGather 36:35
Why are our elders targeted by solicitors and scammers? What can we do to help ensure that our loved ones won’t fall victim to these types of scams? Our older adult population is growing and the financial impact of scams can be devastating, racking up over $3 billion in losses annually.
Although there are many different types of scams, there are some basic principles that you can educate your seniors on to help them from becoming a victim. Of course, we can’t cover every scam that is out there but we can provide some general tips and a framework for recognizing scams.
Join us for this important conversation around safety, scams, and solicitations. We are so happy to have Renee Skoglund, Gerontologist, back with us today.
Renee Skoglund shares about:
- How many older adults are affected by scams each year? What is the economic impact of these solicitations?
- What are the most common scams that we should pay attention to right now
- Some good tips and ways we can educate ourselves to recognize when a possible scam or solicitation is taking place
- How do we approach these conversations with our loved ones?
- For those working in a senior living community- what advice would you pass along in ways to best educate or advocate for our residents?
- What steps we can take to get back on track if we fall victim to a scam
Renee Skoglund has worked in the Gerontology field for over 30 years, focusing on creating, implementing, updating, managing, and improving programs for people over 50. Programs included the creation of a hospital-based adult day program, a hospital-based membership program, starting her own company to maximize activity, engagement, and happiness, which result in a better quality of life. Several of the programs received national awards.
We are not medical professionals and are not providing any medical advice. If you have any medical questions, we recommend that you talk with a medical professional of your choice. willGather has taken care in selecting its speakers but the opinions of our speakers are theirs alone. Thank you for your continued interest in our podcasts.
Please follow for updates, rate & review!
For more information about our guests, podcast & sponsorship opportunities, visit www.willgatherpodcast.com
Nicole Will is our host and founder of willGather.