- G.R.I.T with Austin Hatch, Episode #139 Larry Sprung, Mitlin Financial, Austin Hatch 40:23
Austin Hatch’s story is one of tragedy, incomprehensible loss, and triumph. On Labor Day of 2003, Austin and his family were flying from Northern Michigan to Fort Wayne, IN. As they were preparing to land, the aircraft crashed and burst into flames.
Austin’s dad threw him out of the plane to save his life and ran back into the plane to get his mom and siblings. Tragically, Austin and his dad were the only survivors. They grieved the loss of their family and pushed on, which is what they would’ve wanted. Eventually, his dad remarried a woman with three children and they formed a wonderful blended family.
Austin saw success as a basketball player and got a full scholarship to the University of Michigan. Just nine days later, tragedy struck again. Austin was flying with his dad to Northern Michigan when they experienced another tragic plane crash. This time Austin was the only survivor.
Austin suffered severe injuries and was in a coma for two months. He had to relearn how to walk, talk, and live. But with the help of many incredible doctors, therapists, family, and friends, he made it to Michigan.
Now, Austin is a full-time motivational speaker who shares a message about grit and thriving in the midst of adversity. Listen to this episode to hear how Austin has taken incredible tragedy and loss and used it to help others overcome challenges using G.R.I.T.
You will want to hear this episode if you are interested in…
- Austin’s heartbreaking and courageous story [4:09]
- What it meant to Austin to wear the Michigan jersey [8:24]
- “Husband to Abby and Hudson’s dad” [12:18]
- The four key components to G.R.I.T. [15:43]
- Why basketball was the best therapy for Austin [21:43]
- What Austin’s parents would be the most proud of [23:48]
- What young people chasing the college athletics dream need to know [26:42]
- Austin’s strategy for developing a growth mindset [28:19]
- What Austin hopes people take away from his story [32:15]
- What Austin did today that put him in the right mindset for success [36:06]
Resources & People Mentioned
Connect with Austin Hatch
Connect With Mitlin Financial
- podcast*at*mitlinfinancial(dot)com – email us with your suggestions for topics or guests
- If you would like to learn more schedule a call: https://mitlin.us/FitCall
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Subscribe on Youtube
- Follow on Linkedin
- Follow on Facebook
Guests on the Mitlin Money Mindset Show are not affiliated with CWM, LLC, and opinions expressed herein may not be representative of CWM, LLC. CWM, LLC is not responsible for the guest’s content linked on this site.