- There is nothing wrong with me! Dealing with Dementia and Anosognosia. Kim Hegwood 22:44
In the beginning stages, dementia can be especially challenging for the family. Often the person with dementia is in denial about their disease. Today Kim will have a conversation with Laura Wayman, The Dementia Whisperer about this challenge which is referred to as anosognosia.
1. Why do so many individuals with dementia symptoms refuse assistance or acknowledge that they need help?
2. What is Anosognosia?
3. Why do some individuals react so negatively when confronted with their impairment?
4. What are the signs that your loved one, client, patient, or resident is experiencing Anosognosia?
5. What are the best strategies for managing anosognosia?
Laura Wayman’s mission as “The Dementia Whisperer” and as an internationally recognized dementia care expert, consultant, educator and author is to change the world in how all dementia and cognitive care services are provided to those who suffer from various causes of dementia symptoms and cognitive loss.
Laura wants to give meaning and purpose to those diagnosed with a cause of dementia or cognitive impairment—as well as give caregivers and families peace of mind and help them understand that there is enhanced quality of life for, as well as improved quality of relationships with those who experience dementia symptoms.
By practicing and putting to use all of Laura’s examples of affirming responses and raised dementia awareness tips and strategies, care providers will better understand the dementia world and guide their feelings to more of a cooperative and positive outcome. Learning to do so in a relaxed, confident, and calm manner will assist the emotional understanding necessary to solve behavioral challenges that can come up on a daily basis when dealing with the different causes of dementia symptoms.
Reach out to Laura:
Contact Kim Hegwood- Elder Law Attorney
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/HegwoodLaw