- Franchisee Success Strategies: Localized marketing (when done right) can outperform broader, generic campaigns (episode #77) Jesse Keyser 52:19
In every survey we conducted for benchmark reports, one challenge consistently topped the list among marketers – the size of the marketing budget.
I mean, who could argue. We would all want a bigger budget, right?
And while a hefty budget is a dream for many, this episode’s guest is a testament to the idea that constraints can actually be a catalyst for innovation and creativity.
I spoke with Jesse Keyser (https://www.facebook.com/JesseKeyserEntrepreneur), a franchisee of Sports Clips, Oxi Fresh Carpet Cleaning, and Ideal Image, and Chair of the Multi-unit Franchising Conference.
Keyser is co-owner of 50 locations across the U.S., with a combined $10 million in annual revenue.
He manages a team of 350 and keeps their marketing budget between four and seven percent of revenue for each location.
Stories (with lessons) about what he made in marketing
Some lessons from Keyser that emerged in our discussion:
- Constraints often pave the way for innovation and creativity
- A strategic and unconventional launch can set the stage for ongoing business success
- A grand opening is not just an event; it's a statement of intent
- Localized marketing (when done right) can outperform broader, generic campaigns
- Teaming up with trusted allies can magnify potential and outcomes
- Networking with industry experts can offer a fresh perspective and open doors to opportunities
- Engaging directly with decision-makers can shape policies that benefit the entire business community
Related content discussed in this episode
Get the power of 10,000 marketing experiments. Play with MECLABS AI at MECLABS.com/AI (MECLABS is the parent organization of MarketingSherpa).
Creative Inspiration: 9 mini case studies of marketing campaigns and business ideas sparked by unorthodox inspiration (https://www.marketingsherpa.com/article/case-study/9-mini-case-studies-of-creative-marketing)
Hospitality Marketing: Have a Gumby attitude to any launch (Podcast Episode #20) (https://www.marketingsherpa.com/article/interview/hospitality)
Nonprofit Marketing: What you can learn from B2B and consumer marketing (https://sherpablog.marketingsherpa.com/non-profit-fundraising/learn-from-b2b-and-b2c-2/)
Subscribe to our podcast
This article is distributed through the MarketingSherpa email newsletter (https://www.marketingsherpa.com/newsletters). Sign up for free if you’d like to get more episodes like this one.
For more insights, check out…
This podcast is not about marketing – it is about the marketer. It draws its inspiration from the Flint McGlaughlin quote, “The key to transformative marketing is a transformed marketer” from the Become a Marketer-Philosopher: Create and optimize high-converting webpages (https://meclabs.com/course/) free digital marketing course.
Apply to be a guest
If you would like to apply to be a guest on How I Made It In Marketing, here is the podcast guest application – https://www.marketingsherpa.com/page/podcast-guest-application