- Co-creating Peace Episode #124 – “Humanizing Healthcare” Kathleen Oweegon 28:08
Among the most vulnerable times in a person’s life are those times when they are ill or injured and have to put their well-being – sometimes their very life – into the hands of healthcare professionals. We feel scared, vulnerable, alone, even when surrounded by loved ones. In many ways it is a very solitary, often terrifying journey. More than anything in the world, we need to feel nurtured, safe, and truly cared about.
Melanie Sears, a retired nurse who has been a student, practitioner, and teacher of Non-violent Communication for over 30 years joins me again for an inspiring conversation about ways that we all can bring empathy into our conversations about mental and physical health issues with the persons who are facing them. You’ll recall that in Episode #123, I had a great conversation with Melanie about the companion workbook to “Humanizing Healthcare”, “Choose Your Words”.
I know you’ll enjoy “Humanizing Healthcare”, Episode #124 of Co-creating Peace, a podcast series about conscious communication and conflict transformation.
Guided by NVC principles, Melanie has crafted a new approach that replaces 'power over' with 'power with', fostering connections and nurturing a space of empathy. Through this enlightening conversation, we unravel how we can all contribute to shaping a healthier system of care.
But the journey doesn't end here. Melanie guides us into the world of empathy – a critical, yet often overlooked, aspect of communication. We talk about the therapeutic power of understanding others' feelings and needs.
Highlights you won’t want to miss include:
- From domination to partnership
- How Nonviolent Communication transformed a high-risk psychiatric unit
- The importance of demonstrating empathy without diverting attention to yourself
- Using empathy to support people through physical & emotional crises
Melanie works with couples and individuals as a coach and empath. Contact Melanie at: email@example.com. You can learn more about Melanie and her work at: https://dnadialogues.com. Find her books at: https://www.nonviolentcommunication[.]com/shop/or on Amazon.
Please support Co-creating Peace:
- Subscribe to Co-creating Peace on your favorite podcast provider
- Send me your ideas for topics & guests or be a guest to talk about your communication or conflict resolution challenges & receive free communication Coaching
- Share on social media & tell the world about Co-creating Peace!
Contact Kathleen Oweegon at: firstname.lastname@example.org to share your ideas and feedback for this show. You can receive a free 30-minute communication Coaching session by being a guest on Co-creating Peace to talk about your communication challenges and receive Kathleen's suggestions on the air. Visit BridgesofPeace.com to learn more about Kathleen and her work.