- Co-creating Peace Episode #112 – “Speaking of Listening.....” Kathleen Oweegon 30:15
Welcome to “Speaking of Listening…..”, Episode #112 of Co-creating Peace, a series about conscious communication & conflict transformation.
The last couple of episodes of this podcast have been about listening. I’m continuing that in this episode as a lead-up to two important and related upcoming events:
• Finding the Way Out Challenge is an invitation to look deeply but kindly within yourself by completing a 4-week Challenge of daily five-minute tasks, and to work with others to fight the toxic division that’s tearing our country apart. (IMPORTANT: Register at https://findingthewayout.startswith.us by March 20 to fully participate) This is the perfect opportunity to prepare you to join thousands of Americans during the National Week of Conversation in April. Learn more & register at: https://findingthewayout.startswith.us.
• National Week of Conversation – April 17-23, 2023 – To learn more about this annual event and how you can participate, visit: https://conversation.us
There is an unmet need that many of us experience. You’ve heard me speak about it before. It is the need to feel heard, to be acknowledged for who we are and how we perceive the world – without being judged or condemned simply because we are who we are and believe what we believe. In the world we live in today with all the uncertainty, fear and conflict, it’s getting more and more difficult to get that need met.
Fortunately, there are organizations out there who are dedicated to helping people learn to hear one another without judgement and condemnation. One of those – Living Room Conversations is an organization that helps people to have safe, peaceful, comfortable conversations about the kinds of issues that we find disagreement about, that we feel a great deal of passion about.
This week, I’m replaying Episode #89 – “Living Room Conversations: Connecting Across Divides” my interview with Annie Caplan from Living Room Conversations to remind you of the insights and tools she shared with us to help you get ready for the Finding the Way Out Challenge & the National Week of Conversation.
Highlights of our conversation include:
- dialogue ≠ debate
- understanding doesn’t require agreement
- the value of listening to learn & understand
- how suspending judgement can help us gain new insights
You can access all the Living Room Conversations resources here: https://livingroomconversations.org/and access their Conversation Agreementsat: https://livingroomconversations.org/conversation_agreements
Contact Annie Caplan directly at: email@example.com
Contact Kathleen Oweegon at: firstname.lastname@example.org to share your ideas and feedback for this show. You can receive a free 30-minute communication Coaching session by being a guest on Co-creating Peace to talk about your communication challenges and receive Kathleen's suggestions on the air. Visit BridgesofPeace.com to learn more about Kathleen and her work.