- SCTV, Strange Brew, and Jimmy Leighton: A Conversation with Comedy Icon Dave Thomas Jeff Dwoskin 1:18:12
Get ready for an in-depth look into the life and career of comedian, actor, and writer Dave Thomas. From co-writing an innovative thriller to starring in the cult classic film, Stange Brew, and his time on SCTV with Rick Moranis, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Martin Short, Andrea Martin, and Cathrine O’Hara. This episode is filled with incredible stories and behind-the-scenes insights you won’t want to miss.
My guest, Dave Thomas and I discuss:
- Dave’s new book: THE MANY LIVES OF JIMMY LEIGHTON (co-written with Max Allan Collins) – an innovative thriller in which smalltime Boston thief Jimmy Leighton stumbles into a perilous quantum experiment – and a bullet – propelling him down the multiple paths his life might have taken.
- The Mutants of 2051 AD – the classic Sci-fi intro to Strange Brew
- Take a behind-the-scenes look at “The Adventures of Bob & Doug McKenzie: Strange Brew” and the process of getting the film green-lit, starring Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis
- Discover the story behind the planned sequel (Home Brew) to the cult classic film, “Strange Brew.
- Dave’s career as head writer for the Coca-Cola Canada account at McCann Erickson prior to joining SCTV
- Auditioning and landing a role as part of Toronto’s Second City whose stage cast included Gilda Radner, Dan Ackroyd, John Candy, and Eugene Levy
- Dave Thomas discusses his working and writing partnership with Dan Ackroyd
- The creation of the television show SCTV
- Being mentored by Harold Ramis when Harold passed the torch to Dave as head writer of SCTV
- Dave and Rick Moranis and their amazing chemistry together
- The origin of the Bob and Doug McKenzie characters
- Rocket Boy
- The New Show – Loren Michael’s flop variety show during his time away from Saturday Night Live
- Turning down an offer from Loren Michaels to produce Saturday Night Live
- The Dave Thomas Comedy Show
- and SO MUCH MORE
You’re going to love my conversation with Dave Thomas
Follow Jeff Dwoskin:
- Jeff Dwoskin on Twitter
- The Jeff Dwoskin Show podcast on Twitter
- Podcast website
- Podcast on Instagram
- Yes, the show used to be called Live from Detroit: The Jeff Dwoskin Show
Dave Thomas bio: Dave Thomas is a Canadian actor and comedian best known for his work on the sketch comedy television series “SCTV.” He portrayed a variety of characters on the show, including Doug McKenzie, a beer-loving Canadian, and Bob McKenzie, his brother. Thomas also co-created and co-wrote many episodes of the series. In addition to his work on “SCTV,” Thomas has appeared in numerous films and television shows, including “Strange Brew,” “Grace Under Fire,” and “The Adventures of Bob & Doug McKenzie: Strange Brew.” He continues to act and write for television and film.